Monday, March 24, 2008

Blargh!

The last four or five days have been crazy as far as work goes: people quitting with no notice, a vicious stomach bug that knocked people out for a few days, etc. It's been hectic. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday I felt like I was getting kicked in the head. Over and over and over.

And then there was the missing food. That I think is what really set me off and made me overly emotional. It was nothing big. Just a frozen dinner I had in the office fridge for lunch. Three dollars max. I show up Friday morning and look in the freezer for something and it's gone. I asked the person who was about to leave if he'd eaten it. He said no, so I knew who it was. And I was livid. Matter of principle stuff, basic up-bringing: if it's not yours don't eat it.

The manager comes in about 8 am to pick up deposits and paperwork for the accounting. I say something to her about it. She cocks her head, much the way a cocker spaniel would if it was waiting for some bit of food to fall off the table. She nods repeatedly, her way of showing "I hear what you're saying, I care," and says: "Well, RJ. Remember, it's Easter. Jesus died for our sins." Seriously. No irony. Nothin. "I didn't ask for anyone to die for my sins. I just want my lunch back." Again she nods like a hyper bobble. "So you don't think much about the eternal." "I'm very much a here-and-now kind of guy. And here and now? I want my lunch back."

1 comment:

Collin Kelley said...

You should have snatched her purse.