Monday, May 19, 2008

Finally

I got to do serious gardening today. I cleared about 5 wheelbarrows of old leaves, clumps of grass and weeds from the semi-shade garden beside the front porch. I usually leave a light layer of old leaves for mulch--but since the slugs have already been out and chewing up the spiderwort and hosta I just decided to go for it and clear it all.

I've made two nursery runs and just bought like crazy: two huge japanese painted ferns, two smaller cinnamon ferns, three columbines (burgundy and creme colored), two mourning widows cranesbill geraniums, four coral bells (silver scrolls and midnight rose), four alumroot (snow angel), two white bleeding hearts, and a rosey colored astilbe. I transplanted the chartreuse leaved lungwort from its original bed along with a giant bleeding heart (which divided nicely into four), a large creme astilbe, and a nice clump of hellebore. I still need to transplant some hosta sometime this week, but for now I'm happy.

4 comments:

Peter said...

This all sounds wonderful.
Don't you just "dig" gardening--from the planting to the enjoying. Nothing is better. (Except maybe sex).

Pamela Johnson Parker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pamela Johnson Parker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pamela Johnson Parker said...

Sorry for the earlier posts--my fingers got away from me!

Our bleeding hearts are still blooming. All my iris are finished except for one small sky-blue one. The peonies are at their zenith, as are the rhododendra. Now I want coral bells!

I have to agree with Peter (also with my husband Harvey) that gardening's a close second! (H. has a T-shirt that reads "Gardeners do it dirtier than anyone else.")