Saturday, February 3, 2007

Little Miss Sunshine

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Just watched this on pay-per-view and loved it. The humor is for the most part dark and character-driven and I laughed til I cried 3 or 4 times. The full page ad touting the "Surprise Best Seller by America's Number 1 Proust Scholar" was a great moment (one of the few that I can share that isn't a spoiler.) The ending plays a little broad and as more situational--it's more a sort of cringe-inducing funny for me--not so much a natural extension of who these people are and how they act upon the world or are acted upon by it. I'm not saying I don't enjoy that sort of comedy, I do. It just felt out of place for me, given everything that came before it, which is disappointing because the rest of the movie seemed very natural and easy. Character leading to action and all that jazz. I know that there are alternate endings and that the one finally chosen was a last minute shoot, so I'm guessing that part of the problem was finding a way to end it. I'm curious to see it on DVD now and check out the alternates.

No comments: