Sunday, February 18, 2007

Little Things

It's still snowing but the forecasts say it's supposed to warm up by the end of the week. Yay. Hopefully it will so I can go to Baltimore and see Brian. It's been about six weeks since we've seen each other which is a little depressing. We talk on the phone a couple times a day and keep in touch via ims, but we knew early on that winter would be tough for travel. So I'm hoping there's not some unexpected front or pressure system or some such thing that will throw off this plan.

The starlings are out in full company at the feeders. This is distressing. They're hideous vile creatures. There are about a dozen there now, fighting over the suet feeder and the seed, running off the others. At one point there were about 4 or 5 hanging from the suet feeder rocking it back and forth as they fought over the cake.

I'm going to sew some seed this week before I leave for this year's garden: Cleome, Amaranthus, and Four O'Clocks. I've been very good about not digging into my nursery catalogs. I need to really get everything straightened up and thriving this year before I do any major additions. And catalogs are my downfall--I see plants and I want them and I put off the stuff that needs doing right now. I'll hit the local nurseries this year and get plants that'll fill in and beef up what's already there. But not much else except some annuals for the herb garden. I still have two dozen bee balm rootsets to put out that I didn't get to in the fall. But it'll get done.

For now, I just look at my hibiscus pink hula girl bic and feel happy. How can you not feel better with such a thing at hand?


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: