Monday, April 2, 2007

Thank God It's Monday

I can't believe I said that, but I did. I spent most of the weekend with my friend Jenny, who I've not seen for several weeks. I think the last time was when we were supposed to go to Charleston but ended up in the median. The visit was nothing exciting really--we ran out and grabbed some movies and I fixed dinner. We ate like pigs, changed into our jammies and had a movie marathon. The only thing missing was doing one another's hair and prank calling that dreamy boy from Geometry class.

There were, however, a couple of things that made this a truly Jenny experience. Saturday night her little shelter rescue schnauzer got incredibly sick all over the place and we had to clean that up. Sunday morning, as I was gearing up to leave, the light fixture/ceiling fan combo in her kitchen blew up. Each light exploded sequentially and it started smoking. We turned off the breakers to the kitchen and I had her call the fire department to find out what to do since we couldn't get her landlord or the building's handy man on the phone. That's part of the fun of seeing her--something always happens. You don't know if it's going to be benign (blitz attack by pooping birds) or potentially fatal (car in the median), but something happens that makes a good story later. She's like a magnet.

I've got an appointment to see the chiropractor tomorrow. I wanted an appointment today, but he's booked. I've got a pinched nerve that is totally screwing up my left arm if I move it the wrong way. The sad thing is, I'm not sure what "the wrong way" is just yet. So far it's been set off by washing my hair in the shower and driving (I drive a stick so my left arm/hand is the dominant steering hand) so I'm trying to avoid holding it straight out or raising it to head level. My mother, lord love her, asked me "Well how did you do that?" Honestly, I don't know. I suspect it happened because of sleeping on my left side, curled up. I'm looking forward to the alignment/adjustment though. I wrenched my back a couple of years ago and he had me fixed in less than an hour.

I got my machete. And I've learned that to get the herbicide and stump killer I need, I'm going to have to make a trip to a tractor supply store. I've never been to one. I'm looking at it as an anthropological experience.

No comments: