Sunday, March 25, 2007

Tori, Tori, Tori

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at <span class=

May is going to be an amazing month for albums released by lunatic chicks. In addition to Bjork's Volta, there's also going to be Tori Amos' American Doll Posse. WOOHOO. I know she's one of those love her or hate her figures. I fall into the former category, but am by no means obsessive about her. Frankly, I didn't enjoy the last two at all. Brian sent me a copy of the first single from the album "Big Wheel." It's crazy. I love it. I hope that the rest of the album is as good and quirky (she repeatedly sings "I'm an M-I-L-F" in "Big Wheel" over a sort of blues/honky tonk shuffle piano line.) The conceit of the album is tied into multiple personae (see pic) each of whom has a name and a section of the album tied to it. I don't remember their names. But I do refer to "chicken holding Tori" as Pink Flamingos Tori or "Cookie Mueller" Tori. If you want to ask...feel free.

She's one of those performers that I like having on when I'm writing. I don't really pay attention to the lyrics, just the music and the vowel sounds (I do the same thing with Bjork and Radiohead.) Separating meaning from the sounds they're making inspires me. I'm not sure this is a compliment...but I mean it as one.

No comments: